Sunday, March 29, 2015

Science of Persuasion

Actively Persuading

In Science of Persuasion there are six keys or short cuts.  They are reciprocity, scarcity, authority, consistency, liking and consensus.  All of which are relevant to blogs. The medium itself does not determine level of importance, each will reign differently to individual readers. 

Let me quickly go through all 6 using Autism Awareness in April as an example.  Being an Autism Awareness advocate myself I could set up a blog by first showing these three pictures:




The pictures alone appeal to authority or consensus as people look to the actions of others before they will determine their own.  So I if I want my own community to simply put a blue light bulb outside their garage for one night during the Autism Light It Up Blue Event this is an awesome way to show its simplicity and empowerment to be on the same side as so many well known people.

Now how about scarcity and reciprocity.  Let me add two more pictures to my blog:


It’s not often you find a sponsor that gives 100% of its proceeds to the charity they support.  As an impulse buy when you are purchasing your lunch, just a buck or two will help a child.  There is a sense of obligation to donate or reciprocate generosity when you already spent money on yourself.  Remember these are not just cookies; these are “pieces of hope” which is a great example to show the power of how something is said instead of what is said.  Scarcity is also involved here as this benefit is only for 7 days and you don’t even have to drive to the restaurant, you can pre-order online.

How many beautiful women out there love jewelry?  A bracelet is a great compliment to any outfit and now there are autism charms that add heart to your sleeves.  


When it comes to the liking short cut this above ad is perfect.  People like those that are similar and who compliment them.  So why not find a friend and be beautiful together by participating in the event or don’t even leave your couch, you can order online.  Note I keep telling you the reader how beautiful you are and I would make sure anyone taking the calls for these bracelets spend the time to compliment the callers.

As the creator of the blog I would not expect anyone to follow me or to be motivated by me if I didn’t represent consistency.  If I want my neighborhood to Light It Up Blue I would do it myself and show pictures of my house.  I would order cookies for the people at work and show pictures of people eating them.  The people I know who are directly affected by autism would know about my blog so that they can pass the information out to their family and friends as well.

Simply put if I’m creating a blog to persuade people, I have a better chance of having followers if I’m actively doing what it is I’m trying to motivate others to do.

These active pictures are more empowering than flyers:





1 comment:

  1. Excellent insight into strategies. Visuals are more persuasive, but writers can still make a difference too.

    ReplyDelete