Sunday, April 5, 2015

Logos, Pathos, Ethos



Give Me Reason




I wrote everything I wanted to say in order to get my point across then analyzed if I used logos, pathos and ethos.  I did use all three but what stood out most for me was the use of reason (logos).  Everyone has heard of autism even if they don’t have a full understanding of the disability and there are many charities.  In order for my reader to understand why this one, why Swing for Autism should be supported I made sure what it supports and why it’s needed was best understood. 

I’m sure some information within will appeal to emotions (pathos) but it wasn’t done so intentionally.  I don’t feel striking someone’s emotions about the struggle kids and families go through is an honest way of receiving support.  Providing the reasons alone is heart breaking.

As far as credibility (ethos), I wasn’t going to provide the information that it’s my charity.  But why would I ask for support in something if the entire truth isn’t given?  Why would I ask for support if I don’t show my audience what I do myself to support it?

I don't believe it's the blog that changes the level of importance on the three ways to appeal to reason.  I think it's about the writer's beliefs.  As Emerson said "truth is handsomer than the affectation of love."  The writer has a duty to provide truth in their reasons and with that comes credibility.  Logos wins out above all.

No comments:

Post a Comment